Women are not getting quality sleep, according to a survey by Thrive Global, a behaviour change media and technology company. They found some alarming statistics:
- 88% of women don’t sleep through the night regularly and nearly a third say they never get an uninterrupted night’s sleep.
- 90% say they are disrupted by chronic discomfort.
- 90% sleep with their phones in their bedrooms.
- 68% say stress and anxiety about everything from work to kids keeps them up several nights a week.
- 79% had spoken with a friend about their lack of sleep.
- 25% had been to a doctor about sleep issues.
- 67% say sounds regularly wake them up.
Women need to remember they’ll be more effective for those they love if they prioritse their own well-being. I’ts like they say on planes: In the event of an emergency, secure your own oxygen mask first before helping others.
The Better Sleep Council, the consumer-education arm of the International Sleep Products Association, recommends creating a healthy sleep environment complete with a quality mattress and other sleep products) and routine.